G Adventures to run live virtual tours of destinations for agents

G Adventures is to run a series of live virtual tours of worldwide destinations to educate travel agents and raise funds for local communities.

The tour operator has partnered with Heygo, a travel-specific livestreaming platform, to showcase destinations to the trade.

Tours are designed to inspire agents and offer them a new way to learn about destinations’ highlights.

They will be led by a G Adventures chief experience officer who will guide the virtual audience around the destination, offering a local insider’s view and giving viewers the chance to interact live.

After the tour, viewers will be able to make a donation, with 60% of funds collected going to G Adventures’ non-profit partner Planeterra to support local communities worldwide. The remaining 40% goes to Heygo to run the platform.

The first tours start on February 24 in Morocco, where borders reopened to UK travellers this month.

The G Adventures Morocco Roadtrip Series will continue during March on Heygo.com.

The first tour features the ancient mudbrick settlement and Unesco World Heritage Site Ait Ben Haddou in the foothills of the Atlas Mountains, the filming location for the likes of Game of Thrones and Gladiator. The tour is on February 24 at 4.45pm led by chief experience officer Mustapha.

The second, Marrakech Food Focus – Making Tanjia Marrakechia, is on March 3 at 5pm and includes a tour of Marrakech’s famous medina to source the ingredients for its signature dish, the Tajina Marrakechia, and explore Bahia Palace.

On March 8, at 3.30pm, the series takes an inside look at Bahia Palace and its 8,000 square metre grounds. The Beautiful Bahia Palace tour will explore the palace’s history, artistry and architecture.

Marketing director Ant Stone said the live tours would provide an opportunity for agents to “upskill in a fun way”.

He said: “We’re always on the hunt for bright, like-minded businesses that love to offer new and engaging ways for our travellers, and agents, to meet and see the world.

“What could be better than learning about iconic destinations from the comfort of your home or desk, with access to a local guide who can answer all your questions and give the best insider tips?

“We see time and time again the value in our agents experiencing tours, and this new partnership with Heygo allows us to offer more agents the opportunity to virtually tour destination highlights, to really gain first-hand local expertise.”

He added: “With the borders reopening and over 30 departures on offer in April alone, Morocco was the obvious choice to kick off our tours. Mustapha is an incredible chief experience officer, with a real passion for his country and we’re excited for him to share his indepth knowledge with our agents and traveller.”

Heygo chief executive John Tertan said: “We’re excited to bring G Adventure’s tours to viewers around the world, all while supporting a good cause.”

Related Stories